| || |
Checking a website for errors
What you should keep in mind
Before signing up your internet page for joining a list of websites, you should check the internet pages for errors - the following list will help you in doing so:
1. Spelling:Nowadays most spelling errors on internet pages can be found easily with the help of automatic spell checkers.
2. Uniformity:The same words should be written the same way on the whole website. For example you should not use "jewelry, gems & minerals" and "jewelry, gems and minerals" as your company name. Also the markup of page elements should be uniform and fit the expectations of visitors: If e.g. references are underlined there should be no underlined text which is no reference to another page.
3. Contact data:All contact data on the website as for example email addresses, telephone numbers etc. should be correct.
4. "Invisible" parts of the page:Also page elements which are not displayed by the browser as for example alternative image texts should be checked for spelling and contents.
5. No pages under construction:The website should contain no pages which are not finished yet.
6. Titles and descriptions:All internet pages should contain correct titles and descriptions in the title and description tags.
7. Headings:The programming of the internet pages should mark important page elements as for example headings with the suitable HTML tags (H1 etc.).
8. Side structure:The use of urls within the website should be uniform. Therefore the same page should not be addressed using http://www.test.com/produkte.html and http://test.com/produkte.html.
9. Side overview:The website should contain a page overview in HTML and in XML format which lists all internet pages of the site.
11. Operability of all Scripts:If the website uses server-side software of course the scripts must be checked if they work as expected.
12. Search functionIf the website offers a search function, one should also test whether the script finds the correct pages.
13. Broken references to other pages:With the help of various even free programs it is very simple to check a website for broken references to other pages and to correct them if necessary.
15. Printing feature:If the website offers distinct versions of the internet pages for printing, this feature must also be tested.
16. Security:The forms on the website should be programmed so that they withstand hackers and spammers. Folders which contain sensitive data should be disallowed in the robots.txt file and/or by a htaccess file.
19. Favicon:A Favicon can highlight a website further, because it is saved in the browser bookmarks of the visitor.
20. 404 page:Every website should offer alternative pages to visitors, if an Internet page was moved and can therefore no longer be found.
|Legal Notice: |
Schneitler & Weiss GbR
Waldstr. 14, 83395 Freilassing, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0)8654 457 9623 1, Fax: +49 (0)8654 457 9623 9
Dr. Clemens Schneitler and Dr. Christian Weiss
Tax ID: 105/176/40803, VAT identification number in
accordance with § 27 a VAT Act: DE230625103
Information about the Online Dispute Resolution Platform: The EU commission has created an internet platform for the extrajudicial settlement of disputes concerning contractual obligations between customers and merchants arising from online contracts (the so-called "ODR platform") which is accessible via the following link: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr
Copyright © 2015 Avalon's Treasury
Images © 2015
|www.clipart.com ||, |
|www.istockphoto.com ||, ||www.pixmac.com |
|& www.alternative-health-crystal-healing.com |
All rights reserved.
All images, text and design of this website are fully protected by federal and international copyright laws. If you want to use features of this site please contact the site owner who will help you to get in touch with the respective copyright owner or right holder.
|Last Update of Site: |
| Page built using |
| PSPad-Editor |
Jewelry and Books about Alternative Health & Crystal Healing
Lists of Webpages, Lists of Websites
Nowadays many lists of webpages (including these pages on Avalonís Treasury) offer the possibility to not only provide a title and a short description for your site but to also publish a whole story that points to your website. You should use this opportunity since an informative story acquires much more new visitors for your internet pages than a simple entry in a list of websites.
Texts for the internet should be written differently than stories for a newspaper or a book: Since most of the visitors of an internet page only skim through the offered texts in order to find the information they seek as quickly as possible a solid structure of your story is crucial for its success. It is therefore best to already start your text with a summarizing overview and to only then present the detail information step by step - this way your readers will know from the beginning what the text will be about.
The different ideas of your story should be arranged as short paragraphs which should not be longer than 3-4 sentences. Certainly your text starts with a main heading that summarizes the content of the story, that is to the point and that is not longer than 10 words - but also subheadings should be used as additional structural elements. Furthermore important parts of the story should be written in bold or italics if they are citations. Since italic characters can be hard to read on screen alternatively citations can be highlighted using quotation marks or (as we will see later) they can be written in colour if they are especially important for your story. But please make sure that you don't overuse coloured or bold text since your story otherwise can become confusing.
All structural elements mentioned so far make it easier to quickly skim through a text and to find the information sought. For the same purpose also bulleted lists are ideal especially if you want to talk about different facts that you have to present in a structured manner. It is also true that numbered lists can enhance the overall clearness if you want to talk about a fixed number of ideas (e.g. The 10 best Methods to make your Website famous). Also images and references structure a story: Images can enhance the interest for a text further by using an informative caption and references can lead to the originator of a quotation - these citations are best marked by coloured text to make them stand out even more.
Also the stories on the page http://www.alte
tml were structured this way in order to allow a quick reading thereby helping the visitors of this page to easily find the information they are seeking. If you want to point to this page you can use the following information about our website and the page itself:
- Website: Our short description is "Online Shop for Jewelry and Books about Crystal Healing and Alternative Health".
- Page: Stories and websites about "Lists of Webpages, Lists of Websites" can be found on this page.
Stories are today very often used for pointing to oneís own website since they entertain and inform the visitor of a webpage and this way bring more interested readers to the site. Make sure that your stories are structured in a way that allows the skimming of the text - by this you will gain more readers which in the long run leads to more visitors of your website.